Sports Law Firm
Collins & Collins
Attorney John P. Collins brought his extensive practice in sports law to the firm of Collins & Collins in 2002. From 1997-2001, he served as general counsel for the United States Soccer Federation, Inc., responsible for all legal matters for U.S. Soccer. While working in the litigation law group at Jenkins & Gilchrist, he chaired the sports, entertainment, and media team.
His work in international sports law has included litigation, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) including arbitration, negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, transactional law, and contract law:
- Corporate and not-for-profit governance
- Tax, insurance, and employment issues
- Risk management (he developed a new product for a sports insurance company to re-evaluate security and risk assessment)
- Government regulations and government relations
- Sports eligibility and disputes related to sports doping and amateur sports status
- Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act
- Financing, bankruptcy, and restructuring,
- International sponsorships and licensing agreements
- Media contracts: negotiating and drafting television contracts for international and domestic broadcast rights
- Intellectual property
- Trademarks, and copyrights
- Websites and e-commerce
- Contract negotiations: negotiated and drafted contracts for international coaches and athletes of various national teams
- Collective bargaining
- Arbitration, negotiation, and litigation of contract and election disputes
John Collins teaches sports law at the University of Chicago Law School. He has given lectures for the past four years at the Sports Lawyers Association Conference and is an advisor on the Board of Advisors at the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University. He is a member of the FIFA Legal Committee and was a member of the USOC Task Force that rewrote Article IX of the USOC Constitution (Athlete Eligibility Disputes).
Lawyer John Collins has represented both sports organizations and athletes , including:
- American Youth Soccer Organization
- Anschutz Entertainment Group
- AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour, Inc.
- Bozell Group and the “Milk Mustache”
- CONCACAF-Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football
- Federación Mexicana de Fútbol
- Initial President and Secretary of WUSA
- Jamaica Football Federation
- United Soccer Leagues
- United States Olympic Committee
- United States Soccer Federation
- U.S. Equestrian
- U.S. Sailing
- Individual athletes in contract negotiations, eligibility disputes, and disputes regarding the US Anti-Doping Agency, the International Amateur Athletics Federation, the USA Swimming Code of Conduct
Collins & Collins is an international sports law firm based in Chicago, Illinois. To engage the services of attorney John Collins, please contact our office for an appointment.
Law Offices of Collins & Collins
8 South Michigan, Suite 1414
Chicago, IL 60603
Phone : 312-201-8700
The Illinois litigation attorneys & amateur sports act lawyers at the international sports law firm of Collins & Collins serve clients in Illinois and northwest Indiana, including Chicago' south suburbs and north shore, in communities such as Lake Forest, Oak Brook, and Hinsdale, and Cook, Lake, and DuPage counties. Collins & Collins provides sports law representation nationally and internationally.